Skip to main content

NIGHT PHOTOS

Last night I got out after work to experiment with light on a sweet (borrowed) titanium Budnitz.  That bike is quite an urban ripper.  I set out to see if I could get some shots that would possibly be used in some way for upcoming marketing stuff for work.

When I arrived at my first location the light was almost perfect, but fading fast - too fast as it turned out.  This was the scene of where I would spend a bunch of time playing around with light:



As you can see the sky had already started to turn by the time I got the flash set up and positioned.  Oh well, still an interesting shot:



After a few other methods of lighting I decided to start practicing "painting with light".  All three of these similar photos were taken with a 30 second exposure, plenty of time for some light painting.  So, I grabbed a bright light, triggered the shutter, and began painting the light where I wanted it and trying to minimize shadows by shining the light at the bike from all different angles.  Since it was a long exposure I was able to walk right through the frame without being visible.  After a few attempts I ended up with the below image:



I still have some work to do, but I think this will be a very effective way to get some interesting night shots.


A little bit later I captured the below images - both also 30 second exposures:



I look forward to doing more experimentation with light (and dark).




Comments

phutton said…
Wonderful shots! I look forward to seeing more!

Popular posts from this blog

RUNNING WITH THE ADVENTURE DOGS

I often see people talking on cell phones when walking their dogs. They are basically ignoring their dog and missing a great opportunity to bond and witness the joy that dogs find in simple things like running. Dogs have an ability to jump into life with all fours and fully experience their surroundings. We should all be so carefree!

GREAT RIDE

 I had a great ride this evening.  It was one of those rides where I was feeling no pain and it just felt good to go super hard ... and then go harder.  I haven't had a ride like this in at least a month and it felt great!  I was able to snap a couple of pics along the way with the sun setting behind the Flat Irons.

TO WHET YOUR APPETITE

The sunrises in Tuscany were quite spectacular!