Skip to main content

SNOWMASS

This weekend I had a once in a lifetime experience.  With rather short notice I went from having the regular weekend plans to having mammoth plans.  On Friday I got the invitation from my wife to join her in Snowmass where there was a major discovery of multiple ice-age animals that are very well preserved.  On Saturday I helped at the dig site and personally found about a half-dozen bones from a mastodon!  The most impressive was the atlas bone (the bone that connects the head to the rest of the spine), which was about 16" to 20" across.  There were bones almost popping out of the ground.  It was quite incredible.

Today I went for a hike at the base of the elusive Maroon Bells.  They are elusive for me anyways.  I have been meaning to see them for years and I always seem to miss them.  This time they were hidden in the falling snow.  This was the best shot I was able to get of them.


My favorite shot of the day was of some Mallards that must not have noticed that winter has already hit the mountains.

Comments

phutton said…
So glad you had such a terrific experience in Snowmass! We heard that you were the hero of the day for your amazing find!
I'm sure at some point you will see Maroon Bells with a gorgeous blue sky. But you got a good shot anyway!
Carol said…
That duck picture is awesome!!!

Popular posts from this blog

RUNNING WITH THE ADVENTURE DOGS

I often see people talking on cell phones when walking their dogs. They are basically ignoring their dog and missing a great opportunity to bond and witness the joy that dogs find in simple things like running. Dogs have an ability to jump into life with all fours and fully experience their surroundings. We should all be so carefree!

GREAT RIDE

 I had a great ride this evening.  It was one of those rides where I was feeling no pain and it just felt good to go super hard ... and then go harder.  I haven't had a ride like this in at least a month and it felt great!  I was able to snap a couple of pics along the way with the sun setting behind the Flat Irons.

TO WHET YOUR APPETITE

The sunrises in Tuscany were quite spectacular!